What donors need to know about Prajnya
- The Prajnya Trust was registered under section 12AA of the Income Tax Act 1961 (695/06-07). The Prajnya Trust PAN is AABTT4334M.
- Donations to Prajnya now qualify for tax deduction. Donations to Prajnya from 01-04-2008 to 31-03-2011 qualify for deduction under Section 80G of the Income Tax Act, 1961 as per I.T. Dept. Notification DIT (E) No. 2(573)2006-07 dated 26-09-2008.In view of the amendment brought about by Finance (No.2) Act/ 2009 regiarding automatic renewal of exemption u/S 80G, approval granted earlier to the Trust is valid in perpetuity.
- We are not able to accept donations of any sort from non-Indian individuals or organizations.
If you hold an Indian passport, however, you can donate no matter where you live, PROVIDED you also scan and send a copy of the first page of your passport.
The Home Ministry clarifies this: "Contributions made by a citizen of India living in another country (i.e., Non-Resident Indian), from his personal savings,through the normal banking channels, is not treated as foreign contribution. However, while accepting any donations from such NRI, it is advisable to obtain his passport details to ascertain that he/she is an Indian passport holder." See also this blogpost on the same subject.
- As of 2022, the Government of India requires us to provide the PAN (or other official ID number) and address of every donor. Please make sure that we have this information. We apologise for the extra effort of sending this to us but it ensures that we do not bother you at the end of the year.
Four Ways to Donate
Pay with a Visa or PayPal card and without much ado.
- Use our payment gateway your credit, debit or other card here.
- You can send a cheque or DD (drawn on Chennai) payable to “The Prajnya Trust” to our Post Office address: The Prajnya Trust, Post Box Number 8826 T. Nagar, Chennai 600017. Email us for our address if you are going to use a courier.
- It is also possible to donate via bank transfer if you are an Indian national holding an account in an Indian bank.
Details for electronic transfer (current account):
Account name: The Prajnya Trust
Bank & branch: HDFC Bank, T.Nagar, Chennai 600 017
Account number: 02062560002557
RTGS/ NEFT IFSC: HDFC0000206
SWIFT Code: HDFCINBBCHE
Please email us to inform us of your donation, donation date, amount and transaction details. If you wish to contribute to our corpus, do let us know of that as well.
- You may also donate via UPI. We still however, need your PAN!
We prefer not to accept cash donations; however, we do not rule them out altogether.
About our wonderful donors
Prajnya is largely supported by individuals, some of whom are our volunteers and resource people, many of whom are family and friends of our volunteers and team members and several others who know us through our work. They have attended our programmes, used our resource materials, engaged with us on social platforms or heard about our work. Our donors enable our work but more important, they vote with their resources for our causes and the vision of change we believe in. They also tell us that they believe in our integrity and our approach to our work.
We are grateful that so many of you have stood by us consistently over the years, never losing faith. You tell us we do good work but you are a part of that work as much as we are.
Why do we choose to depend on individual donors? Every new donor who joins us on this journey, and stays with us, actually grows our cause too. In our fifteen years, we have seen our caravan, our community of advocates for gender equality grow consistently as people have given in every way they could--time, resources, money, space. Our gratitude knows no bounds.